Monday, January 21, 2008

Juno

Juno has already featured on the 'top 10 movies on 2007' lists of nearly every reviewer. Ever. It's been given 5 stars, Golden Globe nominations and hailed as a brilliant comedy.

Despite all this, I saw it simply because it stars Michael Cera. And I am smitten.

However, the movie does feature some other significant reasons to see it.

Juno is the story of a 16 year old girl, Juno MacGuff, who discovers she is pregnant with her friend Bleekers child after an encounter in a chair. Sharp-tongued Juno decides to keep the baby - opting to adopt it out to a loving set of parents instead, the Lorings (brilliantly portrayed by Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner).

I suspect the word 'quirky' has been thrown around a lot in relation to this film, particularly following the success of similar low-budget films such as Little Miss Sunshine and Thankyou for Smoking. Of course, quirky is a word you could use - but this is one movie that hardly fits into a mould.

Juno is brilliantly portrayed by Ellen Page, who garnered similar rave-reviews after featuring in Hard Candy. In Juno, she demonstrates her all-mighty ability to bring a character to life with true charisma and charm. Her softness is perfectly timed to off-set any cringe-worthy moments throughout the film - a quality that is equally matched by the ever brilliant Michael Cera who plays her friend Bleeker. Both Page and Cera light up the screen whenever they walk on and the raport between the two sent both myself and my friend in to moments of true sighing.

The supporting cast are equally as strong, aided by a brilliant script from the exceptionally talented Cody Diablo (who is famous for her blog, I might add!) The flow of the movie is perfectly aided by an outstanding soundtrack which twists and winds throughout this off-beat comedy

It's not exactly your most traditional premise for a movie, and the comedy throughout will not appeal to everyones tastes, but the strong cast, superb acting and amazing script will draw you in and suck you dry.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved 'Juno'. It made me laff and cry. Michael Cera is adorable and Ellen Page should be a huge star. And I loved the soundtrack too - The Kinks, Belle and Sebastian and The Velvet Underground - it doesn't get much better for me.

meva said...

Can't wait to see it. I've heard nothing but very good things about it, from people whose opinions I trust.

Great review, Rosanna!

killerrabbit said...

Great review Rosanna. I loved it - I may have even shed a tear or two. Not that it is a sad film and please don't let it put you off.

Everyone go to see this delightful piece of cinema. It is so good that it makes you realise why films are made.

Dot said...

Juno quirked me right off. I think the super sweet and sickly soundtrack got me off to a bad start and after that I couldn't see anything but cliches of hip (racer bicycles, retro pipes) and smart arse (WHO? WHO! WHO? talks so clever as a teenager!?!?).

'Indie' needs a makeover.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite hip myself.

meva said...

Saw it.



Loved it.

Lonie Polony said...

Oh dear. I want to see this but am too often disappointed when my expectations are raised really high by so many rave reviews.

I'm with Dot on the clever teenagers thing (that's one of many reasons I hated Dawson's Creek).

Unknown said...

I dug this movie. That little gal made me laugh with her Janeane Garofalo type wit and demeanor!

Unknown said...

So good......

alesum said...

I take my hat off to the author of this article. Well done.
------------------------------------------
alesum

Online Clothes Shopping said...

your artical give me much more useful informatio useful, I must send a link, many thanks.