Tuesday, October 30, 2007

High Fidelity (2000)




High Fidelity is the story of Rob Gordon, a disenchanted thirty-something who has owned his own record store for four years, scratching out a living through his deep love of music. Self-absorbed and moody, Rob covets a life he doesn’t have and lacks the confidence and drive to step outside of himself. His girlfriend Laura (Iben Hjejle), leaves him for another man, and Rob gets to thinking about the women he has dated. Ranking his “top five breakups”, he tracks down the women he believes have made the biggest impact on his life.
.
I must admit, I came to High Fidelity with mixed feelings. I had read Nick Hornby’s excellent book and adored it. It seemed unlikely that the film could live up to Hornby’s wry tone and black cynicism.
.
I should have known better. The film is tightly scripted, the relocation to Chicago is totally acceptable, and the cinematography makes great use of the locations. Cusack himself, as Rob Gordon, is charismatic and endearing, and easily lifts this film beyond introspection. Gordon’s self-loathing is both real and comical, the supporting cast is excellent and the music references a-plenty make this a deeply enjoyable film.
.
The back and forward flips in time, which had the potential to undo the rhythm of the film, are well-observed, and the matching of music to time-period is straight and unforgiving.
.
Jack Black’s casting as the moody wannabe musician Barry, one half of the “Musical Moron Twins” (“I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago”) is perfect.
.
Barry’s band is just like every band I’ve ever had the pleasure to be around. In fact, Barry reminds me a little too much of a particular friend, who was, shall we say, a little obsessed.
Interestingly, Black almost turned down the role of Barry, despite the writers (including Cusack) writing the role with him in mind. It’s the interaction between Rob, Barry and Dick (played by Todd Luiso) which I love the most.
.
Catherine Zeta Jones is perfect in the role of the self-obsessed Charlie, and Cusack’s sister Joan (one of the most under-rated women in comedy) is stunning as Laura’s best friend Liz.
.
Cameos by Bruce Springsteen, Tim Robbins and Lisa Bonet are subtle and work well within the film, which, while clearly a vehicle for Cusack’s charisma, is a brilliant ensemble piece.

8 comments:

meva said...

Yes, I thought High Fidelity a fine film, too.

I also agree with you about Joan Cusack. She's a fabulous comic actress, and she's got such an expressive face.

Mars said...

i rate this movie very highly in my all time top 5 movies. in fact, i've been inspired to re-watch it again this weekend. LOVE.

redcap said...

I will always love this film for the lurve advice from Bruce Springsteen :)

gigglewick said...

And John Cusack's polite

"thanks Boss"

at the end of said advice.

killerrabbit said...

What was the lurve advice from The Boss? I have forgotten?

I also love High Fidelity, John Cusack and his sister are so excellent.

actonb said...

I had completely forgotten about this blog. I think it got caught up in all the KL nonsense.

Meva - did you send me an invite or am I imagining things again?

High Fidelity - awesome movie! It took MrB's twin obsessions - music and John Cusack - and rolled them together into a film of perfection.
"How are you categorising them? It's not alphabetical, it's not chronoligcal, what is it?"
"Biographical"
(paraphrased obvs) but it gets to the core of the truly obsessed.

Thanks GW!

Kath Lockett said...

Great review for a truly 'top five' movie - it's one that Love Chunks (Mr Star Wars, Lord of the Rings) and I (To Kill a Mockingbird, This is Spinal Tap, Dead Poets Society) actually agree on.

To be honest, I've been in love with John Cusack since 1985s 'The Sure Thing' ("I could rip your heart out and eat it - just for pleasurrrree - see it for one of the most under-rated comedies of the eighties).

Nothing JC has done since High Fidelity has amounted to much though *sigh*

MissE said...

[small voice]

I'm sorry GW ... This is a very very unpopular opinion but I didn't really like this movie that much.

Don't get me wrong: I liked lots and lots and lots of things about it. I really really did. I liked John Cusack and I liked Jack Black and I liked a lot of the dialogue and the story was wonderful.

About the only thing I can think of that I expressly didn't like was Iben Hjejle - she annoyed the hell out of me and I didn't get why he wanted her back.

There's nothing else I can put my finger on but it's possible that I disliked her so much that she killed the whole movie for me because I came away distinctly underwhelmed.

I hadn't read the book when I saw it and it put me off doing so for the longest time. When I did, I loved it to bits. Absolutely loved it.

Sadly, if I'm going to watch a Nick Hornby adaptation, it's going to be About A Boy every time. I love that movie so much.

[/sv]